How will technology improve the lives of the elderly? Quite significantly. Because of these technological advancements, senior parents and patients are now able to maintain much of their independence and lifestyle. Their caregivers also benefit from technology, because it means less worry over their patients as well as more time and peace of mind for themselves.
There are various helpful gadgets available that range from essential support such as medication reminders to sophisticated alerts for in-house and away-from-home medical monitoring.
Investing in a device with monitoring technology.
While it is true that many people reaching retirement age are still averse to technology, it’s about time that they should start to realize the many benefits that it could bring. It may even improve their quality of life.
When you (as a caregiver) or your elderly parent or patient has begun to notice any of the following signs, then it’s worthwhile to consider using technological tools that will aid them in their routine. These signs may include:
1. The elderly patient is living alone and doesn’t have support living nearby.
2. Living alone becomes a cause of anxiety or worry.
3. The elderly patient walks with an unsteady gait or with difficulty.
4. He or she tends to fall more often.
5. He or she is showing signs of failing memory.
6. New or existing medication list dizziness as a side effect.
As you are exploring various monitoring tools, it helps to answer the following questions. They can help you find solutions which are appropriate to your elderly parent or patient’s needs:
1. Will your senior parent or patient understand how to use a system?
2. Would an automatic system be more suitable?
3. Is he or she having trouble communicating due to deafness or aphasia?
4.Have their fine motor skills become too restricted to push a button or put on a device?
Best products for senior monitoring
Once you have found out that technological solutions are the best for your elderly parent or patient’s situation, you will have lots of options within each of the following product categories:
1. Fall prevention – According to the National Council on Aging (NCOA), one out of four Americans aged 65 and older falls every year. These solutions can help prevent the instance of falling such as wireless bed, chair, and floor mat alarm systems. They can alert caregivers if the senior parent or patient needs help.
2. Call systems – These call system devices include emergency call buttons, pagers, and two-way communication systems which help seniors connect with supporters.
3. Location detection – If your senior parent or patient is still living independently and driving, mobile phones or other devices that have GPS tracking are worth investing in.
4. Medical monitoring devices – Senior parents or patients can benefit from wearing devices such as Fitbit smartwatches, which have fall detection and health monitoring features. Other wearable devices have features that help remind the elderly parent or patient to take medications.
5. Motion sensors – These motion sensors can provide support to patients who may wander into dangerous areas. They are available in both stationary and wearable options.
These high-tech tools and devices may facilitate the caregiver in monitoring their senior parent or patient. However, you should not ignore the following tried-and-true methods:
1. Making daily phone calls can provide additional support and connections to your senior parent or patient. For more tech-savvy seniors, you may use mobile phone apps such as FaceTime for video conversations.
2.Employ an organization that will conduct daily check-in calls or weekly personal visits.
Contact Kerr Medical for Monitoring Solutions
Kerr Medical understands the struggles and challenges caregivers encounter when taking care of a senior parent or patient. We offer the following products that can help improve the quality of your life and the life of your senior. These products are carefully sourced and specifically designed to address your needs without putting a dent in your budget. Contact us today and discuss your situation with us, and we will recommend products that will work best for you and your senior.